Sunday, April 24, 2005

Our Big Weekend Apart

I'm back from our Mom's Club Spring Retreat...what a blast. We spent two nights in a cottage by the beach at a place called Point Roberts, which is right on the border between Canada and Washington. It's quite a drive up there, but it sure was a lot of fun. There were nine of us...we didn't stop talking the whole time. We ate way too much, played games, went sailing, stayed up really late and laughed a bunch, too. What a great break it was for me.

The kids did just great. Nicholas, of course, had a grand time with his Grammie and Pop, also known as Kathie and Gene, and must have played non-stop, because he was really pooped out tonight. When I came to pick him up from their house, he presented me with a flower that he picked for me and a very special green cake that he made all by himself! Andi spent the weekend with my friends Shelly and Dewitt and their girls Emily and Allison. Andi was sooooo happy to see me. She kissed me all over, and hugged me so tightly. She was pretty tired, too, but it sounds like she was a good girl (mostly) all weekend. Sadly, the reunion between the two siblings wasn't as warm and fuzzy as I had hoped. Andi got "the wave" from Nicholas when she said hi to him!

I feel so lucky to have gotten to take a mini-vacation this weekend. I firmly believe we all need the occasional break from each other. It just makes me a better mom, and gives the kids a chance to become themselves without me hovering over them. Thanks to the Brooks family and the Armstrongs for making it all possible for us!

2 comments:

Amy said...

Yea for you Shelly. I am so jealous. Sounds like you have some great opportunities there. Wish we had them here too. I hope you feel refreshed and energized again. Take care and I'll talk to you soon!!

The Gullett's said...

What fun Shel, so glad you did it and the kids had no huge problems. The reunion with them sounds so nice, makes me want to get on the ball and do the same.