Monday, May 09, 2005

Fight! Fight! Fight!

2 p.m.:
Well, since we've stayed home all day, I've been reminded why I take the kids out of the house all the time. Fight, fight, fight! Mine, mine, mine! I've sat with them on the floor all morning long, trying in vain to play, but instead playing mediator, making negotiations, distracting, reminding, and disciplining. Ugh.

Nicholas has been a miserable cuss all day. He's trying out temper tantrums Andi-style, but he's not as convincing. This morning he told me he was done eating breakfast, changed his mind, changed it again, then when I wouldn't bring out his food again, he burst into tears and started kicking the floor. It was actually pretty funny, but I was so annoyed that my breakfast was being interrupted by his ridiculous display that I didn't exactly find the humor in it. I took him to his room and put him back in bed, saying that he was obviously tired and that he needed to rest. This invoked all kinds of teeth-gnashing, bed-hitting, and pillow-kicking, along with numerous, "I'm mad at you's!" He later settled down and was allowed to be with us again, but it wasn't long before the bickering started and he was again sent away.

Andi hasn't been a perfect angel herself, as you have certainly already guessed. She's thrilled to snatch away any toy that is currently being played with, which, of course, causes great trauma and evokes significant drama from her brother.

Let's hope a nap helps...I'm definitely getting us out of the house tonight.

9:30 p.m.
I did manage a quick outing to the store, which helped a little bit. They still find ways to fight, even when they're strapped in car seats. I guess this is just the beginning! I'm sure they do get sick of being together all the time. Just another reason I miss Chris...it always helps to have some one-on-one time with each kid.

The photo is what happened when I sent them both to fight in their room. They stopped fighting and started dismantling the bookshelf together. I knew the quiet was too good to be true!

No comments: